Intolerance and prejudice against persons because of their race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, gender or gender identity and expression or sexual orientation tear at the fabric of a democratic and pluralistic society. Acts of violence based on such bias further alienate individuals and groups and serve to rob us of the crucial sense of security we all require in order to live, work, play or pray in our communities. In consideration of the destructive effects of prejudice and racism in our communities, and in order to address this ongoing problem, the Suffolk County Inter-Faith Anti-Bias Task Force has been created.
The Task Force is a non-partisan group, under the auspices of the Suffolk County Executive, which is made up of concerned clergy and lay persons who will work together to address the issue of prejudice and racism in any segment of our county. The Task Force will work to prevent and combat prejudice and racism, and diffuse their destructive effects in several ways, including but not limited to:
- Reaching out in an impartial manner to bring together involved parties for dialogue;
- Foster a network of local clergy and community representatives to develop responsible leadership, working in partnership with the Task Force;
- Working with and through appropriate county channels to dismantle societal structures which lead to bias, hatred and misunderstanding;
- Networking with educational, governmental and law enforcement agencies to combat prejudice and its destructiveness;
- Supporting programs of education to eliminate bias and hatred;
- Developing a significant and public presence in Suffolk County so that individuals, local groups and the media will be aware of the important and responsible services which the Task Force can provide.
All of these goals are attainable and can be achieved by the Task Force as it provides opportunity for ongoing dialogue and direct interaction between and amongst clergy and lay leaders of all minority and community groups in Suffolk County.
To view the Interfaith Anti Bias Task Force blog please click this link: http://suffolkcountyantibiastaskforce.blogspot.com/