WARMING STATIONS (Partial List)
The following warming stations are provided by local houses of worship, fire departments, and recreation facilities. Each station provides a different combination of services. Please make note in each case of hours and services provided. Only Lights of Salvation is providing food. See separate list of meal distribution sites.
New Village Recreation Center, 20 Wireless Road, Centerreach
Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Warming & Charging Stations. (631) 744 – 2601.
Dix Hills Ice Rink, 575 Vanderbuilt, Dix Hills
Hours: 6 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday – Friday. Showers, Free Skating. (631) 462 – 5883
Saint Michaels, Wilson Avenue, Gordon Heights
Hours: Until 8 p.m. Warming & Charging Station. (631) 698 – 3254
Central Presbyterian Church, 240 Main Street, Huntington
Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Use rear entrance. (631) 421 – 3663
Temple Beth El, 660 Park Avenue, Huntington,
Hours: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday – Thursday. (631) 421 – 5835
Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Showers, Charging. (631) 421 – 4242
Salvation Army East Northport Service Center, 319 Clay Pitts Road, East Northport
Hours: 7 days: 10am – 8pm
Lights of Salvation Church, 1599 New York Avenue, Huntington Station
Hours: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Saturday (631) 421 – 4375
St. Hugh of Lincoln R. C. Church, New York Avenue at East 9th Street, Huntington Station
Hours: Monday to Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Mastic Fire Department, 1080 Mastic Road, Mastic
Opens Noon. Feeding Station /Clothing. (631) 281 – 1235
Mastic Recreation Center, 15 Herkimer Street, Mastic
Hours: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Warming & Charging Station. (631) 281 – 7655
Robert E. Reid Senior Recreation Center, Defense Hill & Route 25-A, Shoreham
Warming & Charging Stations. (631) 744 – 2601
William J. Brosnan School, Northport-East Northport SD
158 Laurel Avenue, Northport
Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Sunday and Monday. Charging Center
American Legion Hall, 7 Woodside Avenue, Northport
Hours: 9 am - 3pm Sunday
Red Cross Food Distribution-lunch from 11 on and dinner from 4 on
· Dennison building in Hauppauge, 100 Vet’s Highway, Hauppauge
· Riverhead County Center 210 Center Drive, Riverhead
· Mastic Fire House, 1088 Mastic Road, Mastic
Red Cross Shelters
· Sachem East High School
· Walt Whitman High School
· Robert Frost Middle School
Department of Social Services
Suffolk County DSS has been working with the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability (OTDA) Assistance to replace Food Stamps that may have been lost due to Hurricane Sandy.
Current Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipient households that have lost food purchased with SNAP benefits due the disaster are entitled to a replacement issuance of SNAP benefits provided that:
- The household reports the loss within 10 days of the date of the onset of the disaster or misfortune; and
- The household returns a signed and completed form LDSS-2291 “Request for Replacement of Food Purchased with Food Stamp Benefits” within 10 days of the date of the report of loss.
- OTDA has received approval (via a waiver) from the USDA to replace 50% of the October SNAP (Food Stamps) benefit. The benefits will be placed electronically on the clients EBT card via a mass reauthorization by OTDA for all SNAP households receiving benefits during October 2012. This mass ––reauthorization will be done in the next few days by OTDA with no Local DSS involvement.
Suffolk County Small Business Assistance Recovery Centers
Beginning on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 Suffolk County through its Departments of Economic Development/Planning and Labor will be offering access to computers, printers and fax machines as well as counseling services to those businesses that have suffered damages from Hurricane Sandy. Certified Business Counselors from the Small Business Development Centers at Farmingdale and Stony Brook will guide business owners through the resources available and assist with the preparation of applications for disaster assistance available through the SBA. All services offered are free.
Small Business Disaster Recovery Centers Locations
SC Department of Labor SC Department of Labor
725 Veterans Memorial Highway 300 Center Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788 Riverhead, NY 11901
(Smithtown for GPS users)
Monday-Friday Monday -Friday
9:30 AM – 7:30 PM 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
If you have a business that suffered damages from Hurricane Sandy, here are some steps to follow immediately:
- Contact your insurance agent or broker immediately. Make sure you get the proper forms to file a claim.
- Document: Take photos of all the damage before you do any sort of clean-up or renovations and take notes of dates, times, etc.
- If you hire a contractor to do the work, get a few quotes and keep these for references.
- Keep track of ALL expenses with receipts and notes of explanations. These will come in handy when you need to make proof these expenses.
- You need to register with FEMA for assistance at: http://www.disasterassistance.gov/ . The web site has comprehensive information on Federal and local assistance available for both individuals and businesses.
- In addition, whether you rent or own your own home, own your own business, or own a small agricultural cooperative located in a declared disaster area, and are the victim of this disaster, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Information is available at www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/loans-grants/small-business-loans/disaster-loans