The Suffolk County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services (FRES) is committed to serving both the 1.5 million residents of Suffolk County and the over 10,000 emergency responders who are dedicated to saving lives and protecting property. FRES is organized into the following functional areas to best provide its services. The Commissioner of FRES oversees all functions.
- The Fire Marshal’s Office (FMO) provides inspections and enforcement activities for building codes, fire investigations, public education, technical response assistance to the Fire and EMS Agencies within Suffolk County, staffing for various positions within the county’s incident command structure and support of emergency management operations.
- The Fire Rescue Communications Section (COMMs) is an enhanced 911 facility which handles Fire and EMS calls, in addition to dispatching services for emergency response. The staff must initially be certified by New York State as Emergency Medical Technicians and maintain national certification as Emergency Medical Dispatchers (EMD) and Emergency Fire Dispatchers (EFD). The staff also operates the county’s Mobile Command Vehicles in conjunction with the FMO section.
- The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) coordinates the county’s response to natural and man-made disasters. OEM personnel are responsible for development of the Comprehensive All-Hazards Emergency Management Plan, the operation of the county’s Emergency Operation Center (EOC) and work with local, state, and federal officials in all aspects of shelter management, planning, resource management, and emergency response and recovery activities.
- The Administration Section (ADMIN) provides clerical, human resource, grant management, and financial management coordination functions for the department.
In addition to these functional areas, the Department also has the responsibility for oversight and coordination of the operation and contractual responsibilities of the following:
- The Fire Extinguisher Licensing Board (FELB) which, by law, oversees and regulates the servicing of portable fire extinguishers and automatic fire extinguishing systems throughout the county,
- The Suffolk County Fire Academy (SCFA) which provides classroom instruction and field training for local fire departments throughout the county. Courses range from basic firefighting to incident command, incident management and specialized training as needed.
Joint Emergency Evacuation Assistance and Special Needs Registry. Assistance for people with special needs during a disaster.
Click here to learn more.
Suffolk County Code Red Emergency Notifications are now available on iPhone and Android Cell Phones. The videos below describe the Suffolk County Code Red Emergency Notification Apps for Android and iPhone Cell Phones.