Did you know that your skin is the body’s largest organ? Grooming products can contain toxic chemicals and when applied to our skin may wind up in our bloodstream. Luckily, we can choose products that make us look good without harming our health.
Many ingredients in cosmetics and grooming products are not regulated by the FDA or any other agency. There are over 10,500 chemicals and ingredients that are used in making cosmetics, shampoos, body lotions and other personal care products. Even products marketed as “Natural” can contain ingredients harmful to human health 1
- Look up the ingredients on the label of the products you use at Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. This informative and comprehensive site will tell you which ingredients are of concern. Aim to choose the least toxic alternative.
- Gain a better understanding of why many ingredients in cosmetics and grooming products are considered endocrine disruptors and the role they may play in the development of cancer and other diseases by watching videos here.
- Avoid products containing the following 2 -
|Benzophenone -1 or -2
Resources for More Information
1. Environmental Working Group
2. Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors
(BCERF), 2009. Breast Cancer and the Estrogen Connection. Cornell University
3. Brody, Julia Green, and Ruthann A. Rudel, 2003. Environmental Pollutants and Breast Cancer. Environmental Health Perspectives Volume 111 No. 8 June 2003. pp1007-1019.