Sagtikos Manor

Sagtikos Manor

Montauk Highway, West Bay Shore
Park Phone & Event Information: 854-0939
Group Tour Information: 661-5169

Directions: Robert Moses Causeway South to Exit RMC 2E (Route 27A) Bay Shore. Turn right onto Route 27A and continue east approximate 1/2 mile. Entrance to Sagtikos will be on the left.

Sagtikos Manor originally stretched from the Great South Bay to the center of Long Island at Brentwood. Its 1200 acres formed a shape which resembled that of a “head of a snake”, the Indian term being “Sagtikos.” With the purchase of the Manor house and its surrounding ten acres, Suffolk County has assured the future of this historic home and the legacy of the families that added to and preserved this site. The County purchased the 230 acre Gardiner County Park in 1971, which was originally part of the manor. This property will now be included in the programs developed at Sagtikos.

The original section of the Manor house was built c. 1692. Additions to the house were added in the 18th century, including the room where George Washington slept in during his tour of Long Island in 1790. In 1902, Frederic Diodati Thompson hired Sayville architect Isaac H. Green Jr. to design the two large additions. At this time the house was being recognized by the family and the local community for the historic events that occurred there. In 1935, Robert David Lion Gardiner inherited the estate and began opening the house to the public. In 1964 the Sagtikos Historic Society was formed to help interpret and provide tours of the site. Thus for most of the twentieth century the house and grounds have been open to the public.

Sagtikos Manor was listed on the National Register of Historic Place in 1976. After the property is dedicated to the Suffolk County Historic Trust, the conservation and restoration program will begin. The Manor House will remain as it has been over the past 100 years, as a historic house museum interpreting the rich history of the families that developed the property and their involvement in the development of Long Island. An historic furnishing plan will be initiated to document the room’s furnishings and provide conservation guidelines for the antique collections and decorations in the house, including the wallcoverings and carpets.

The landscape and buildings will also be documented with a Historic Landscape Report and Historic Structure Reports for each building. The proposed plans for the Carriage House include a Visitor’s Center with exhibits, gift shop and meeting room. The walled garden and garden house will be restored.

SAGTIKOS MANOR TOURS
given by the Sagtikos Manor Historical Society
www.sagtikosmanor.com

Tours Schedule
June
Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 - 3:30pm (last tour)
July - August
Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 - 3:30pm (last tour)

Admission (Donation)
Adults $9.00
Seniors $7.00 60 years of age and over
Children (5-12) $5.00

Group Tours by appointment

Photographs
Photographs are not permitted inside without prior approval from the Suffolk County Parks, Director of Historic Services. Exterior photos are permitted.

Any additional questions or concerns should be directed to the Suffolk County Parks, Division of Historic Services at (631) 854-4604.

Contact Us

Address:
P.O. Box 144
West Sayville, NY 11796

Email:
scparks@suffolkcountyny.gov

Phone:
(631) 854-4949

Fax:
(631) 854-4969

Connect
Facebook logo Twitter logo