The major goal of the Traffic Engineering Section is to optimize traffic flow and safety conditions on County roads. This Section is involved with various aspects of planning, design, construction and operations of the County road network.
The Section functions are as follows:
- Traffic Volume Counts
- Design and supervision of traffic control device installations on County roads.
- Review of construction plans from a traffic safety and engineering perspective.
- Maintenance of street lighting in municipal parking areas.
- Issue work orders for the installation of traffic signs and pavement markings by the Highway Maintenance Division.
- Prepare plans for the installation of street lights in County facilities and issue work orders for the repair and maintenance of the lighting in municipal parking areas.
- Conduct traffic studies.
- Provide traffic engineering evaluation of the planning of the County Road System.
- Review site plans for developments adjacent to County roads.
- Obtain machine traffic volume counts.
- Provide staff support to the Suffolk County Traffic Safety Board
- (The Director of Traffic Safety or his designee also serves as Executive Secretary of the Board)
- Certify street vendors in accordance with the requirements of the County's Street Vending Local law.
- Compile research and data in response to requests for information on County road maintenance, signal timing, accidents, etc., under the Freedom of Information Law.
- Provide support to County Attorney's office.