Temporary Secretary (3 - 6 months)
The Suffolk County Board of Ethics is interviewing for a Temporary Secretary (3-6months) with anticipated start day in July 2021, M-F, Hours 8-4 or 9-5
Resumes to be submitted to the attention of:
Samantha L. Segal, Esq. – Executive Director Suffolk County Board of Ethics
Via email: Samantha.Segal@suffolkcountyny.gov
Via Fax: (631) 854-0028
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for taking confidential shorthand and typing confidential letters and correspondence;
- Receives, sorts and prepares incoming mail for department review;
- Prepares written replies to inquiries from federal, state and local officials, other department heads and the general public as to the operations of the department;
- Assists in the preparation of departmental budget and operating cost estimates;
- Maintains records of personnel changes;
- Responsible for office supply inventory and reordering when necessary;
- Schedules departmental business meetings, takes minutes of meetings, and prepares reports and summaries of business transacted;
- Responsible for maintaining accurate and up to date files of department activities and correspondence.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Good knowledge of the philosophy and method of operation of the department, board or commission; ability to perform clerical and related office duties in a confidential and responsible manner; ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing; ability to establish effective working relationships with department heads, federal, state and local officials and the general public.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
- This is a responsible exempt class clerical position distinguished by the confidential nature of its duties. The level of responsibility and complexity of duties will vary according to the requirements of the department, board or commission being served. Section 41 of the Civil Service Law states where this position can be established, and Appendix A of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules sets forth the specific positions which have been approved in the exempt class by the New York State Civil Service Commission.
- Personal characteristics, not measurable by competitive examination, such as trustworthiness and compatibility with department or agency philosophy are essential to satisfactory performance of the job. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate office staff members.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with confidential and privileged matters
- Advanced communication skills working with Executive and Management level employees
- Experience with interfacing with the public
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with MS Word, MS Outlook, and Adobe product suite
- Experience preparing documents for Board of Directors meetings
- General file management experience required
*This position does not offer relocation assistance at this time
Suffolk County’s Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Equity:
- Our focus is to promote, support, and implement the County-wide diversity and inclusion strategic plan.
- We achieve results in all our responsibilities through the use of diversity and inclusion best practices.
- We maintain a familiarity with Diversity & Inclusion trends and best practices.
Suffolk County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability that can be reasonably accommodated without undue hardship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.