Falconry in Suffolk County Parks
NOVEMBER 1st 2018 – FEBRUARY 28th 2019
Falconry is the art and sport of hunting with raptors. In this modern age it is a highly regulated sport that demands time and serious commitment. The Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation offers opportunities for falconry for Suffolk County residents only.
PARKS AVAILABLE: Pine Meadow County Park, Eastport
Laurel Lake Grassland County Park, Southold
Manorville Prairie County Park, Manorville
All falconers must possess and carry on their person while in the park the following:
- Valid Suffolk County Green Key Card
- Valid 2018-2019 Suffolk County Parks Falconry permit
- Valid NY State Falconry license
- Valid NY State Small Game license
- If waterfowl hunting - Valid Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (“duck stamp”)
SUFFOLK PARKS FALCONRY SEASON:
Small Game Hunting Season: November 1, 2018 through February 28, 2019
Regular Waterfowl Hunting Season: November 22 through 23, 2018 and December 1, 2019 through January 27, 2019
Falconry Extended Waterfowl Hunting Season (ducks, coots & mergansers only): November 1, 2018 through February 13, 2019
Suffolk County Parks Falconry Permit $38.00 (valid for 11/01/18 – 02/28/19 only)
LOCATION TO PURCHASE PERMIT AND OBTAIN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Suffolk County Parks Administration Office 854-4949 (8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Mon. – Fri.) West Sayville Golf Course, Montauk Highway, West Sayville
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR FALCONRY HUNTING IN SUFFOLK COUNTY PARKS:
All New York State Department of Environmental Conservation regulations governing falconry hunting apply. Suffolk County Parks falconry hunters must also comply with the following:
- All falconers must park in designated parking area only (check with park personnel for clarification).
- Parking permits must be displayed and fully visible on vehicle dashboard.
- Falconers must carry on their person and show to proper park authorities if requested, all necessary permits and licenses described under “REQUIREMENTS”.
- Permits to use this area for falconry in no way gives exclusive use to permit holders. Please be aware hikers or other patrons may be in the area.
- All New York State small game and Federal waterfowl season hunting hours and regulations apply.
- No overnight parking permitted.
- The Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation reserves the right to change areas, add or subtract areas, and close or modify areas and rules and regulations as needed for the best management of its lands and natural resources.