Skip to search box Skip to main content
Text Only Version

Client Benefits Administration

Client Benefits Administration (CBA) provides financial assistance and service-related programs to economically disadvantaged individuals, many of whom face multiple barriers to economic independence. Through these services and programs, clients are encouraged to become independent and self supporting.

A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify for Food Stamps, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child dependent care credits, school lunch and other programs.



Apply Online for Services or Check Eligibility

Child Care Services

Child Care Subsidy Program

Child Care Subsidy Program (Spanish)

The Suffolk County Department of Social Services provides free or low cost subsidized child care services for eligible families residing in Suffolk County.

Child care is available for children, between the ages of 6 weeks through 12 years in licensed day care centers, school age child care programs, group family day care homes, registered family day care homes, and legally exempt/informal child care programs. NOTE: Children with special needs may be able to receive subsidized child care through 18 years of age.

Families must meet income and program eligibility criteria to be eligible for a child care subsidy. All individuals applying for a child care subsidy must complete an application and submit supporting documentation.

Click here for more information about Suffolk County’s subsidized child care program including:

  • Descriptions of the program and income eligibility criteria.
  • Answers to frequently asked questions.
  • A Child Care Eligibility Wizard where you can quickly check YOUR family’s program and income eligibility.
  • Links to the child care application, instructions for completing the application and additional forms that may be required based on your family’s circumstances.

If you decide to apply for child care services, please view the following three booklets (available in English or Spanish (SP) to find out what you should know about your rights and responsibilities and available services:

For additional information about child care services in New York State, visit:

New York State: Division of Child Care

Child Care Services FAQs

Child Care Eligibility Wizard

SWEP (Suffolk Works Employment Program)

The Suffolk Works Employment Program (SWEP) helps Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients obtain the skills they need to find employment. Once employed, families can receive help with childcare and other work-related expenses.

For more information about SWEP including how to register, please call the Compliance Unit at: (631) 853-3664

Questions about Child Care or other Work-Related Expenses, please call the Child Care Bureau at: (631) 854-3349

Happauge, New York 11788
Compliance Unit: (631) 853-3664

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps persons with limited income buy food.

View this flyer to see tips on how to get your SNAP benefits quicker: English | Spanish

Apply Online


Download an Application

Request an Application be mailed to you: (631) 854-9935

Apply in Person: Find Your Service Center


Nondiscrimination Statement (Aviso sobre Normas Antidiscriminatorias)

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Federal changes for ABAWD recipients of SNAP

Effective January 1, 2016 federal change to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) will limit the receipt of SNAP benefits to individuals who are determined to be an Able-Bodied Adult without Dependents (ABAWD) to three (3) months in a 36 month period, unless the individual is participating at least 80 hours each month in qualifying work activities.

SNAP recipients who are also determined ABAWD are notified at their eligibility appointments, verbally and in writing. Recipients are each provided with an instructional letter which outlines directions for contacting the Suffolk Works Employment Program at (631) 853-6619 in order to obtain compliance assistance and a job search log so that compliance with ABAWD regulations can begin immediately.

An adult individual is exempt from ABAWD requirements if he/she meets one or more of the conditions listed below:

  • A person under 18 years of age, or 50 years of age or older.
  • An adult in a SNAP household with a child under 18 years of age.
  • A caretaker of an incapacitated person.
  • A pregnant woman.
  • Physically or mentally unable to work 80 hours a month.
  • Participating in a drug/alcohol treatment or rehabilitation program and deemed unable to work.
  • A recipient or pending receipt of Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB).
  • A student enrolled in any recognized school, job skills training, or institution of higher education at least half-time and meeting the student eligibility criteria to receive SNAP.
  • An applicant for SNAP benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) jointly or in receipt of SSI.
  • Employed or self-employed and working at least 30 hours per week or receiving weekly earnings at least equal to the federal minimum wage times 30 (currently $217.50 per week).


SNAP-ED: Eat Smart New York!

ESNY is a program, in collaboration with the Department of Social Services, to provide nutrition education to food stamp participants and applicants. This program will enable participants to make healthier food choices within limited budgets.

SNAP-ED: Eat Smart New York! Click here to learn more about ESNY

Eat Better For Less

Video shows how Eat Smart New York Nutrition Education classes teach SNAP-eligible households to eat better for less.

HEAP (Home Heating Assistance Program)

Energy assistance is available for low income, elderly and persons with an energy emergency.

How to apply for HEAP:
  1. You may mail a completed application to: PO Box 18100 Hauppauge, NY 11788 or;
  2. Fax a completed application to: (631) 853-8969 or 853-8822 or;
  3. File an application online at: or;
  4. File a completed application in person at any of the three HEAP service centers:
    • Southwest Center, 2 South 2nd St. Deer Park, NY 11729
    • Smithtown Center, 200 Wireless Blvd. Hauppauge, NY 11788
    • Riverhead Center, 893 E. Main St. Riverhead, NY 11901

NOTE: In an effort to better serve the public, we are working to keep the lines and wait times in the service centers to a minimum. We suggest that you do not file an application in person unless you have an emergency need. Applications submitted by mail, fax or online will be processed at the same rate as applications filed in person.

Apply Details / Download an Application

Request an Application be mailed to you: (631) 854-9935

Apply in Person: Find Your Service Center


Temporary Assistance

Temporary cash assistance is provided on a monthly basis, or in the event of a sudden emergency, by a vendor payment.

Apply in Person: Find Your Service Center

Temporary Assistance FAQs

Apply Online

Temporary Housing Assistance

Persons who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless should apply for assistance at a Social Services Center.

After 4:30 PM, Weekends & Holidays call Emergency Services: (631) 854-9100

Apply in Person: Find Your Service Center

Housing Package Information

Report a Homeless Encampment - If you are aware of a Homeless Encampment and would like to report it, please contact your local Suffolk County Police Department precinct by calling (631) 852-COPS.

Hospital Homeless Discharge Referral Form – for Hospitals and Medical Facilities use only.

Hospital Homeless Discharge Referral Form (Spanish) – for Hospitals and Medical Facilities use only.

To Apply for Temporary Housing Assistance

Call the Center servicing your area for information on how to apply. For all other questions, call the center servicing your area for assistance.

Persons who currently have housing, even temporary housing, should apply at the Center that serves that area. Otherwise, persons should apply at the nearest Center.

Apply in Person: Find Your Service Center

Temporary Housing Assistance FAQs is an online tool to help you learn about eligibility for financial assistance and other benefit programs. A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify for Food Stamps, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child dependent care credits, school lunch and other programs.

Burial Assistance

If there are no funds available from private resources, the Department of Social Services covers basic burial costs for Temporary Assistance recipients, stillborn infants or any other person found dead in the County who is not under the jurisdiction of another social services district. DSS Approval prior to finalization with the Funeral Home is required.

A simple prescreening from any computer with internet access at any time determines whether you are likely to qualify for burial assistance.

Check eligibility and Apply Online with Indigent Burial Assistance

Indigent Burial Application (Spanish)


  • A maximum benefit of up to $1,500 may be available for a burial or cremation, regardless of immigration status.
  • Any licensed funeral director who accepts the Department’s policy is eligible for payment.
  • To determine eligibility, an application must be submitted prior to the completion of services.

FAQ’s en español:

  • Un beneficio máximo de hasta $1,500 puede estar disponible para un entierro o cremación, independientemente del estado de inmigración.
  • Cualquier director funerario con licencia que acepte la política del Departamento es elegible para el pago.
  • Para determinar la elegibilidad, se debe presentar una solicitud antes de completar los servicios.

Non-Parent Caregivers (Grandparents, Other Relatives, Friends) Caring for Children

Non-Parent Caregivers (Grandparents, Other Relatives, Friends) Caring for Children

Non-parent caregivers, who are caring for children without a parent living in their home, may be eligible for Temporary Assistance. Temporary Assistance for children not living with a parent is often referred to as “non-parent caregiver” or “child-only” grants, and includes Medical Assistance (MA). If the non-parent caregiver wants assistance only for the children, the non-parent caregiver’s income is not used to determine eligibility and there are no Temporary Assistance work requirements for the non-parent caregiver. Non-parent caregivers may apply for temporary assistance at their local social services office. In addition to financial assistance, non-parent caregivers (also called kinship caregivers) often have a need for information and assistance related to food stamps, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), custody, guardianship, foster care, adoption, schooling, school enrollment, and other forms of assistance such as child care, social security, respite, case management and service programs. For information about services and assistance programs please visit the following websites:

The NYS Kinship Navigator’s website offers legal fact sheets, state and local kinship resources, and other information. In addition, the Navigator operates a toll free phone line at 1-877-454- 6463. Kinship Specialists are available from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. A message may be left during non-business hours and calls will be returned when business hours resume.

The NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA). To apply for services, call or visit the local center serving your area. In addition, the New York State website My Benefits is a quick and easy way to find answers to questions about New York State's programs and services. is an online tool to help you learn about eligibility for financial assistance and other benefit programs. A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify for Food Stamps, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child dependent care credits, school lunch and other programs.

The NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) provides contact information and links to the Kinship Caregiver Programs funded through OCFS, as well as a variety of resources for families and staff, including the Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP), a subsidy program available to kinship caregivers who are foster parents.

Additional Information for Kinship & Nonrelative Caregivers

Make an Informed Choice Know Your Options Know Your Resources

Información adicional para familiares y cuidadores que no son de su familia

Tome una decision informada Conozca sus opciones Conozca sus recursos

Suffolk County Government

H. Lee Dennison Bldg

100 Veterans Memorial Hwy
P.O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Riverhead County Center

County Road 51
Riverhead, NY 11901