The Department of Economic Development can offer individual counseling and technical assistance for women and minority-owned businesses in Suffolk County.
In addition, the department can provide access to the following programs:
- Women & Minorities Pre-Qualification Loan -- Enables the SBA to pre- qualify loan guarantees for women and minority business owners before they approach lenders.
- Long Island Small Business Assistance Corporation -- This group, which is affiliated with LIDC, can provide small loans from $2,000 to $10,000 to women-owned businesses tied to intensive technical assistance. For more
information, go to: www.lidc.org or call (516) 349-7800.
Women Business Enterprise Coalition / Suffolk County Coalition of Minority Businesses -- These groups were established by the Suffolk County Office of Minority Affairs to guide women and minority owned businesses through the government procurement process and provide information about all available government purchasing opportunities. There are no annual dues or meeting fees required to participate in either group.
To become a member of the Women Business Enterprise Coalition, a company must be 51% owned and operated by a woman or women. There are no restrictions on the type of business that can join. Each year the coalition prints a directory of its members, which is distributed to potential purchasing entities. Meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month. The Coalition also publishes a newsletter. For schedule and more information go to: SCWBEC
Membership on the Suffolk County Women Business Enterprise Coalition and M/WBE requires minority stock ownership of at least 51%. For more information go to: Office of Minority Affairs or call (631) 853-4738.
Additional Resources Available Online:
- www.countmein.org - Count-Me-In-for Women's Economic Independence. An internet-based nonprofit fund for women who want to start or expand their own businesses. Count-Me-In is designed to create business opportunities for women and give them access to business credit by creating a loan pool for small business loans of between $500 and $10,000. They also accept donations.
- http://airforcesmallbiz.org/ - Since 1998 the Air Force has held a series of events to help women bid effectively for its contracts through outreach events such as half-day conferences. The Air Force has pledged to award $1 billion in contracts to women-owned businesses and they believe the events will help them meet their goal.
- http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/mlb_official_info.jsp - Major League Baseball (MLB) announced the latest milestone in the evolution of its Diverse Business Partners Program, an economically driven business inititiative established to cultivate new and existing partnerships with minority-owned and woman-owned businesses. MLB has signed individual partnership agreements with both the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) and Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC). Visit their website for more information.
- New York State's Division of Minority - and Women-owned Business Development (MWBD) - This website lists all the services offered by Empire State Development (ESD).
SBA Loan Project for Independent Filmmakers - Click here
SBA's Online Women's Business Center
Also click here to see the "Financial Assistance" section of this website, which lists other loan programs available to women and minority owned firms.