Domestic Violence Information


If someone you live with or are married to is physically abusing you, they are breaking the law!

You can file a criminal complaint with the police or go through the Family Court, where you could obtain an order of protection without having to file criminal charges.

Here, the goal is to end the violence, not punish the abuser.

At the Probation Department a probation officer will assist you in preparing your court petition.

We have produced a video which can help you better understand this process.

It's called "Orders of Protection" and can be found in your Suffolk County Library.

Suffolk County Domestic Violence Task Force

Domestic violence has become a very important issue in the world today. Suffolk County recognizes the effect this issue has upon all of us, and, in an effort to raise awareness, has provided you with a list of several relevant sites where you can obtain information about this very important topic. Our probation department hs produced a video entitled "Orders of Protection". It is available at your local library.

Services and Information:

Domestic Violence Hotlines and Resources

Futures Without Violence (formerly Family Violence Prevention Fund)

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

National Domestic Violence Hotline 

New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence (OPDV)

Brighter Tomorrows (631-395-1800)

The Retreat (631-329-2200
Suffolk County Coalition Against DV (631-666-8833) 

VIBS (Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk) (631-360-3606)

Crime Victims Center (631-689-2672 or 888-275-7365)

Seafield Center (800-448-4808)

Suffolk County Task Force to Prevent Family Violence