How Do I?


Find a Support group?

Here is a list of support groups

Arrange for Respite?

Respite provides time off for caregivers. SCOFA offers some Respite through its Family Caregiver Support Program. Please call 631-853-8200 for more information. Respite can be provided in the home, at Adult Day Care or in an Adult Home or Nursing Home.
Here is a list of Nursing Homes that provide Respite

Get financial help for raising my grandchildren?

For information on services available to any non-parent caregiver, including grandparents, relatives, and even non-relatives who provide full time care for children in their home, please visit the Kinship Navigator website at

In-Home Services

Get home care services?

Home care services can mean many different things. SCOFA has 2 home care programs: Expanded In-Home Services for the Elderly Program (EISEP) and the Family Caregiver Support Program. Both programs have eligibility requirements and a waiting list. Please contact SCOFA at 631-853-8200 if you feel you or a loved one is in need of this assistance.

Medicare can provide some home care assistance if certain criteria are met. Please speak to your doctor to see if you qualify for Medicare home care.  Here is a list of Medicare Certified Home Health Care agencies

Other options for paying for home care services are Medicaid, Long Term Care Insurance, or private pay. If you would like a list of agencies that provide personal care aides please click this link: Personal Care Agencies.

Get help with small jobs around the house?

Each of the ten towns has a program called Residential Repair to provide assistance with small jobs around the house. Participants are required to pay for the cost of materials. For further information call the Town Senior Citizen Division:

  • Babylon 631-789-3309
  • Brookhaven 631-451-9092
  • East Hampton 631-329-6939x7209
  • Huntington 631-446-3721
  • Islip 631-224-5424
  • Riverhead 631-727-3200 ex. 736
  • Shelter Island 631-749-0291
  • Smithtown 631-360-7616
  • Southampton 631-728-1235
  • Southold 631-298-4460


Arrange for home delivered meals?

To arrange for home delivered meals you must contact the program that services your area. For information on Home Delivered Meal programs in Suffolk County you may call 631-853-8227. 

Find a Congregate Nutrition Site?

Congregate Nutrition Programs offer a hot meal and an opportunity for socialization. Many provide transportation. To find a Nutrition Program in your area please call 631-853-8227 or return to the Home Page and click on Congregate Nutrition Sites for a map with the locations.


Obtain information on the Suffolk County Bus Service?

The Suffolk County Bus provides service throughout the county. A reduced fare is available with a valid senior id card. Additional information on the Suffolk County Bus Service can be obtained by calling 631-852-5200 or by visiting their website at

Obtain information on other transportation options?

Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT) provides curb to curb service for individuals with a disability throughout Suffolk County. Applications may be requested by calling the Office for People with Disabilities at 631-853-8333 or by visiting their website at:

Each of the Towns or service providers listed below provide transportation to seniors to a variety of essential services. In general, these vehicles do not cross town lines and medical appointments have priority. Please contact the service provider in the town which you reside.

  • Babylon  631-422-7618
  • East Hampton  631-324-4443
  • Huntington Hart Bus 631-427-8287
  • Islip 631-224-5686
  • Riverhead 631-724-444 ext. 290
  • Shelter Island 631-749-1059
  • Smithtown 631-265-8811/8826
  • Southampton 631-728-1110
  • Southold 631-298-4460
  • SYJCC 631-462-9800 ex. 147


Apply for subsidized housing?

In order to be placed on the waiting list for any subsidized housing complex or Section 8 voucher program you need to contact them directly. Please be advised the waiting lists can be quite long. A list of Federally Subsidized Housing Programs in Suffolk County can be found here

Find other Senior Housing Complexes?

There are other housing options available for seniors. A list of non-subsidized housing programs can be found here

Find information on Assisted Living?

New York defines an assisted living facility as a residential program that serves five or more adults, providing room, board, personal care and supervision, typically in apartment-like settings. Assisted Living facilities are overseen by the Department of Health. For additional information visit their website at: An updated list of Assisted Living Facilities is available here

Find out more about Nursing Homes?

Nursing Homes are monitored by the NYS Department of Health. For detailed information on nursing homes anywhere in the country you can visit Medicare Nursing Home Compare at: is a list of Nursing Homes in Suffolk County.


Get information on Medicare?

Information on Medicare is available through a variety of resources. You can call Medicare directly at 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227) or visit their website at  You can call HIICAP (Health Insurance Information Counseling Assistance Program) at 631-979-9490 ext. 18. You may also call SCOFA/NY Connects at 631-853-8200.

Choose a Medigap policy?

A Medigap policy is a type of private insurance that helps you pay for some of the costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover. View an informative brochure on choosing a plan here.

You may also call and speak with a HIICAP counselor at 631-979-9490 ext. 18 or call SCOFA/NY Connects at 631-853-8200.

Decide which Part D plan is right for me?

You may choose a new Medicare prescription drug plan during the annual enrollment period from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7. Premiums, covered medications, and out-of-pocket costs change each year, so it's a good idea to shop around for a new plan even if you're happy with your current coverage. Things to consider when choosing a plan include the premium, other out of pocket costs, the formulary, and customer service. If you need help you may contact Medicare at 1-800-Medicare or or speak with a HIICAP counselor at 631-979-9490 ext. 18.

Apply for:

EPIC: You may obtain an application for NYS’s Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage by calling 1-800-EPIC or by going to The NYS’s Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage website.

HEAP: You may obtain a HEAP application during HEAP season by calling HEAP at 631-853-8326 or by going to the website:

SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps): You may obtain a SNAP application by calling the Department of Social Services at 631-853-6600 631-853-2300 631-853-8842 631-852-3500 or by visiting the website:

Medicaid: Medicaid applications can be obtained by calling the Department of Social Services at 631-853-8730 or by visiting this website:

Medicare Savings Programs: Medicare Savings Programs pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium, and possibly some other medical expenses. You may obtain an application by calling SCOFA at 631-853-8200, or by calling the Department of Social Services at 631-853-8730.

Property Tax Exemption: There are several different property tax exemptions that are available, STAR, Enhanced Star, Senior, Disabled, and Veterans. To see which ones you might be eligible for please contact your Town Tax Assessors Office.

You may check your availability for many of these programs by visiting the website SCOFA staff is also available to answer questions regarding these benefits by telephone at 631-853-8200 and at our office at 100 Veterans Memorial Highway M-F from 8:30-4:30. In addition Senior Advocates visit over 50 sites throughout the county to provide assistance. For the current Senior Advocate schedule please visit the calendar link on our home page.